Monday, October 1, 2007

Why my drivers license is useless

I went out to a club/restaurant with some friends to see 3 of the most famous Filipino rock bands play live. (Which was incredible, by the way.) On the way home we went through the intersection shown below. I’ve included the lane markers even though they are meaningless in this country.



The same intersection at rush hour . I’ve added our path Family circus style. The intension was to enter from the south and take a left turn heading west. Bear in mind this intersection did include a stop light. We entered on a green arrow but I get the feeling that is just a happy coincidence.
The different colors represent the different vehicle types which is basically irrelevant to this discussion. Suffice to say, we were in a ford pickup and the smallest vehicle in that intersection. At first I was a bit worried about the whole affair until it became apparent that we were forced to use the Jeepney pickup lane because the Jeepneys had taken over both sides of our street. At that point I couldn’t stop laughing.