Sunday, September 16, 2007

Green Christmas Reality

A few weeks back (Sept 1st to be exact) a Filipina friend received a text message that made her laugh because it ended with “Merry Christmas”. When she showed me the text and explained that Christmas starts early in the Philippines my jaw may have unhinged.

For a bit of background: I am one of those people who celebrate Festivus as a joke, I do not listen to the radio from Thanksgiving to New Years, and (consequentially) I give the worst presents. In short I do not like Christmas; in fact I think my room 101 would consist of Christmas songs on loop, Three Laws incompatible robotic snowmen, and only okra to eat.

Back to the story: I thought she was joking. I even dismissed the fact that everyone started talking about the SunPower Christmas party: where it would be held, what they would wear, and who they would be bringing. It should have tipped me off that no one discussed if they were going to show up. Now there is nothing I can do to avoid the inevitable; this morning I heard the first Christmas song on the radio. The absurdity of it all is that I’m Dreaming of a White Christmas and Jingle Bells (which is about a sleighing accident) enjoy a fair share of the rotation. And it isn’t the standard “one song an hour” rotation most radio stations throw into their program you hear back state side. Here they go for the full blown 100% Christmas songs on select radio stations. Granted it’s only a few but the disease will spread until my only respite will be blasting my iPod ‘til my eardrums bleed.

My hell is here. Bring on the snowmen and the okra!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Once in a pawn shop in Memphis I saw a snow globe full of miniature okra.